A “General Contractor” means a contractor whose services are unlimited as to the type of work which he or she may do. A General contractor is responsible for the complete execution of the construction work. Its range is unlimited in terms of capacity and complexity of the projects that build. The general contractor can build, alter, and renew any building and structure. This license enables to direct and take responsibility in building, qualify a company and participate as a partner in the company. One of the most important benefits of this license is that it allows to hire any specialising in different areas of construction. A general contractor can work in any county or city of the State of Florida without the need to obtain a local licence.
- Be older than 18 years of age.
- Have good moral character (if there has been any legal problems with the law in the past, the most important thing is that the applicant has complied with the provisions of the law and not have anything pending or in process with justice).
- Demonstrate financial responsibility (having a minimum 660 credit score ( If the applicant doesn’t have the minimum score a bond will be required) The cost of the bond can be reduced in half by taking a course in financial responsibility).
- Have a Social Security number.
- Approve two types of examination: A business and finance examination, and 2 technical examinations.
- Have four years of experience within the scope of the license that the applicant wish to obtain; one of the experience years must be in a supervisory role. It is important to know that at least one year of experience should be in buildings of four or more stories in height. Up to three years of experience can be replaced with a higher education title. College or University titles are valid for experience validations..
You don’t need a letter or a contractor signature to endorse your working experience, but it is important to have the necessary information from the contractor validating the experience such as name of the enterprise application contractor, number of license, address, name of the work and years of employment.
Good news are that to study and take the contractor examinations you don’t need to have your experience fully, the State gives up to four years after approval to get working experience and apply for the license.
To register in one of our courses or any information regarding obtaining your contractors license please contact our career counselors at 1-888-844-5528 or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org